April 2, 2020
Greetings SWWFS families,
We are transitioning from our regular school day into learning from home in a very positive and understanding manner. Our first priority is the health and safety of you and your families along with that of our teachers and their families too. Everyone has been making great strides in going from high levels of usual personal contact to that of learning at home with the help of parents, siblings, and grandparents.
Our goal and the district’s goal is to ensure that all of our students are in contact with their teachers and develop meaningful connections. During this time students will have the opportunity to review, extend previous learning and obtain extra credit toward third advisory grades. After April 13th teachers may begin to slowly and deliberately start teaching new concepts and skills.
As we move into week 3 of Distance Learning, we are launching a schoolwide academic structure for SWWFS students. On April 6th, we are asking students to follow their regular schedule in the time frames provided in the link below. This schedule is designed to help students manage their time and work at a pace that supports their learning style. Please see the school-wide schedule via this link. Teaching Schedules
· Please take the survey to share your feedback regarding our first, two-weeks of Learning from Home
· DCPS requires teachers to enter 1 grade per week.
During this learning at home time, when much of our instruction is being offered online, we know that students will have different levels of access to technology and workspaces for learning — so much is out of their control. Therefore, teachers will grade students’ work without penalizing them for assignments that they were not able to access or complete.
· All work assigned work during this period of learning at home can only yield improvement of a student’s Term 3 marks. If a student is unable to complete any assignments during the period of virtual learning, their Term 3 grade will be based on the marks they earned prior to the closure of school on March 13th.
· Thursday, April 16th - Emancipation Day, No School for students and staff
· Friday, April 24th - End of Term 3, Records Day, No School for students
As always, we encourage you to reach out to teachers with specific questions. We are here for you!